Saturday, February 21, 2009

Vegan on the Weekend: Otherwise Out-of-Print Books

I have a quiet weekend planned: a few errands, a bit of cleaning, cooking / baking, catching up on reading, lounging around . . . and watching the Oscars, of course. I don't think it's going to happen this weekend, but some weekend in the near future, I hope to sit on my sofa and savor an entire book over the course of the weekend.

On my reading list, I have three books that I first have to order from Persephone Books. Persephone Books reprints forgotten classics by twentieth-century (mostly women) writers: "Each one in our collection of eighty-one books is intelligent, thought-provoking and beautifully written."

The three I want are: (1) The Wise Virgins by Leonard Woolf (Virginia Woolf's husband; of note, Virginia Woolf's Flush, which is one of my favorite "biographies" is also in their collection); (2) The Home-Maker by Dorothy Canfield Fisher; and (3) A Very Great Profession by Nicole Beauman.

The books are £10 each or £27 for three (£33 for three including postage) -- about $14 for one book or about $39 for three ($47 for three including postage). As soon as I see another quiet weekend forthcoming, I plan to order my three selections.

No comments: