Friday, October 31, 2008

My Friend Is Famous!

The Professional Vegan is taking a quick break from vegan fashion, clothing and accessories to highlight a seriously awesome summer "externship." Sarah McLanahan, my friend from college, now a graduate student, spent part of her summer vacation in Peru helping (and holding) orphaned babies. The Sun Chronicle -- the local newspaper of her hometown -- reported on her adventures recently.

The graduate student spent nearly a month of her vacation
time this summer volunteering at an orphanage in Peru, working for Mosoq Ayllu, a nonprofit organization based in Huancayo in the Peruvian highlands, about seven hours outside of Lima. She was matched with a family-run orphanage, where she worked helping to care for babies.

"I want to travel the world saving babies," McLanahan said. "I don't know how I'm going to work that into a career, yet. I might work with families wanting to adopt so I can counsel them and work on helping them to connect with the babies."

Read the entire article here.

No comments: